1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your idea of how high-end pvp,meta,arena gameplay can look like. Party comp,builds,tactics etc.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Piaff, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Piaff

Piaff New Cupcake

Hello everyone that loves and focues @ PvP

I've been playing mmos for 7 years. What interests me the most is the highend/top-tier pvp and how it will look like. Even before the game release I am interested what will be ideal party comp ,how the actuall (arena in this case) gameplay will look like and what do YOU think about what YOUR class can bring to high-end pvp. In short: theorycrafting ,something i find enjoyable , there is still 3 months till the game release but it doesn't mean we cannot share our thoughts and assumptions let me start:

How do I think party comp will look like ? At this moment predicting party composition is very hard as we don't have a lot of information about the game BUT i do think that the party "core" will include 2 classes. Those classes are Medic and Esper/Spellslinger both on healing builds. Why ? beacause of the variety and uniqueness of how both mentioned healers gameplay looks like. Medic reminds me of Warrior Priest/DoK from Warhammer online ,a medium armour healer that is in the field of battle with his armour making him able to surive through the dmg and group heals to support the group and also very important feature of Medic -> being able to restore the shields of your party members.
    The second healer that will heal alongside medic will be as mentioned above Esper or Spellslinger ? why beacause it reminds the typical healer from other mmo's. Light armour ,strong single target heals and big numbers. It's typical healbot we all love and enjoy ,a trusted teammate that have to put with all the bs of always blaming healer in the first place if the group wipes. I do think that both of those classes will be the MAIN healer that will have the crucial job to provide fat heals ,while Medic will be more of a supportive type of healer. Why do I think the "meta" will consist of 2 healers ? beacause from what I saw how CC works in this game and how fast you can burst comes my assumption that without 2 healers in party ,the enemy team will just train your healer making him unable to do anything except running for his life for few seconds. I know the group limit is only 5 but in my person opinion the core of the group will be infact 2 healers mentioned above.

So we have covered the healing part but that's only 2 of 5 classes that can be in the party. The next archetype I would like to take under my magnifying glass will be a Tank who do I think will be ideal tank for the 5v5 let's say ? My choice fell on Warrior or Engineer why ? beacause both of those classes have perfect capability for tanking. They wear heavy armour ,they are said to have lot of cc and somehow in my opinion Stalker doesn't fit the role so well as the eng and war. Why warrior ? well that's simple it has pull , it can leap it looks fearsome and badass ,I can already see people rolling those high rocky <REDACTED>s and running around taking aggro. Engineer is something that some people might want to avoid when picking a tank but trust me, the range tank can work just as well if not better than melee. Anyone who is familiar with SWTOR knows that Vanguard/Powertech were the best choice for PvP tank although being ranged , the CC drone appeals to me and I do think engineer will be utilized as a tank just as fine as Warrior.

So I've covered 3 of 5 of my "meta" team. But to cut things short I will cover the dps fast. My dps choices are Stalker as main dps and Esper/Spellslinger or Warrior as second dps. Although being stealthed what really caught my attention in Stalker was the insane amout of single target dps it can leash out on the enemy. The mobility of Stalker also meant key role for me ,when making my mind what's gonna be utilize very well in party choice. Second dps is a simple caster that bursts people from range , i don't know if i should add anything else just a typical nuker or a Warrior which has constant dps and it's less reliable on burst than Stalker. I like my party based on 2 melee dpsers however I'm open minded when it comes to party comp and I do think that any setup can work even with 2 ranged dps if it will be utilized well.

So that's it --> Warrior/Engi(tank) + Stalker(dps) + Esper/Spellslinger/Warrior(mdps/rdps) + Esper/Spellslinger(healer) + Medic (support healer ) That's how I see it.

1 tank 2 healers 2 dpsers for 5v5 clashes. I know it's wall of text but im a pvp enthusiast and wanted to cover the topic the best I can. I will add following content when I have more time.

Tell me about your opinion.

Disclaimer: The following "meta setup" is simply my predictions and how i see things ,doesn't mean it will be the case when the game is released and when certain classes will be hit with nerfhammer.

Attached Files:

2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

First: Way better beginning :up:

Second: Do you know how the respawn works in PvP Arena? (just want to know how much you know of the arena in WS). It's not like in games like WoW, where death means staying dead untill your team wins/loses. You have respawn chances.

Third: Where do you see the hybrid builds in Arena? Since I only see you speak of ''healer'' ''tank'' ''dps'', but what if the Engineer builds a bit more hybrid so his CC does more damage. It seems a waste in a 5v5 team if no1 targets the Engineer because he's a bulky tank, and they just focus the esper/SS because he's easy to kill. It may cost you your respawn points that way....

Mayby that bit of extra damage from a source that isn't targeted so easily can help?

Fourth: What do you consider high end PvP? Cause Warplots is high end PvP, not arena (atleast not as high as warplots). Guess in WS arena is Middle PvP :geek:

Fifth: What about 2v2, 3v3?

Sixth:
    I'd say something like:
    Medic, SS, Stalker, Warrior, Engineer

Although I don't want to say ''engineer tank'' and things like that , since I see some possibilities for the hybrid builds.

Seventh: I like counting :D

Eighth: This was it, for now ;)
  3. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Nine: Something's got to give! \m/

*Roars* Let the chuas hit the floor, let the chuas hit the...

FLOOOOOOOR!

Full stalker arena teams will be the way to go. That stuff would be so cash.
    I'd provide legitimate feedback but I never really played the game yet, per se. I like to spend more time actually testing things out then theorycrafting with a coven of pro players.

I don't lose my hair breaking things down to that .2%.
    But then again I don't have a orbweaver mouse with keypads on the side and just bind things to the F1, F2, F3, and F4 near the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 so apparently I'm the weird one here.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

We are both weird here then :up:

For peeps that didn't know you were talking about:
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

It's certainly going to be interesting... Since we can choose the attack abilities on the LAS, there is going to be a lot of combinations.

I would love to try out a 5 healer team. Each healer with a single strong heal, and the rest on attack/CC abilities. That way, the opponent would not be able to focus on a single healer to CC/interrupt weakening the team. Something like spider-tanking in EVE where each ship can repair each other, and switch targets when the enemy switches focus.

Of course, that would mean that everyone on the team has to be on their toes...

Anyway, things will be quite interesting :)
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wouldn't the hybrid AMP's be more interesting for this team then?
  7. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I have not seen the actual available AMPs, but something that makes you hardier in PVP would probably work well (if that is Hybrid, then cool!). It would not be a team that can kill too quickly, but would be very resilient. And would still be resilient even if one of the members is taken out... At least that is the idea...

I guess it's something worth testing when the game comes out :p
  8. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The only problem with that sort of strat is getting out enough damage. Different skills scale with different damage, so a lack of attack power or support power leaves you mediocre to terrible at both. This is the reason why for pve hybrids suck.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Isn't that where the Utility spells come into place?
    Since they scale with both stats.
  10. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

It's going to matter a ton whether or not taunts from tanks affect players in any way. CoH tanks could force your tab target to lock on them for 5-8 seconds, so you couldn't heal or damage anyone but the person taunting you, awesome concept imo. In SWTOR, tanks taunting puts a damage/healing debuff on you, so anything you do sucks unless it's to the tank who taunted you(but you at least have options).
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

In WildStar taunt gives a debuff that let's you do less damage to targets except the one who taunted you for it's duration. The devs have said that on this forum. So it's confirmed.

So kinda the same, although I don't know the exact numbers of how much % less damage you do.
  12. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

1) If Carbine intends to balance the three healing classes on the meters in raids (and there sure will be tons of QQs if they don't), given the range and style of Medic healing, my prediction is that it would have the highest burst healing. Imagine having a medic healer in raid, he'd need to be standing at the side of the boss, ready to jump to the front and quickly heal up the tank before dodging away. He won't be able to heal all the time due to both the range of his heals as well as the danger of the situation, so if he wants to get similar numbers as the Esper, he needs to have big bursty fast heals. To balance things, those big bursty heals will probably be on CD so they can't be OP in a situation where the Medic can constantly heal. Spellslinger heals are next, because although they can spam it, they need to aim their heals, which means heavily movement might create healing miss. Just from what I see, Esper heals are the most robust, so it will likely be relatively weaker spell-by-spell, but Espers can keep healing going on and on and on so in the end the numbers of all three classes will come out similar.

2) Based on this prediction, indeed I agree medic will be the go-to healer for team PvP. It is mobile, it may have the biggest and fastest burst healing, it has more survivability than the other two healers. Next will be spellslinger for their kiting role, since Carbine has said that between spellslinger and esper, spellslinger is the kiter and esper is more the stationary nuker.

3) I doubt PvP healers will be equipping even mostly healing spells. Most likely they'll be hybrids, cc skills (likely more than 1) will need to go on the action bar, escape skill needs to go on there, survival skills and panic buttons, most damaging instant nuke for assisting kills, all in all there will be room for maybe 2 or 3 healing spells. So only the most suitable healing spells, such as those with the highest healing/cast time will go on the bar I'd imagine, or ones that are easiest to use. So the "healers" are really hybrids I'd think.
  13. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Look at the utility abilities though, they are all mostly garbage for damage. They would need to scale exceedingly well with gear to make that viable, which sets up issues. To make them a viable "go to" for hybrid play they will have to be retuned every tier.

Spellslinger innate says no to medic being the best at burst. Especially on demand since they are so tied to having cores and how much those builders suck right now.
  14. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

Triple SS ! gg's kid ! thanks for playing !