1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your take on: Legacy servers? +Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Infamouz, Oct 26, 2013.

?

How do you feel about Legacy servers, should Carbine implement them in the future?

1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

59.1%
  3. I am indifferent about the matter

27.3%
  1. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I wanted to ask you guys, how do you feel about legacy servers? Do you think Carbine should eventually open legacy servers, for those who want to play on them?

I understand that the rallying and mentoring systems ansver this issue to a degree, as these systems give you the chance to do older content at the respective level they were meant to be done.

Now the problem comes from class and balance changes. You could get in to a position where you do level-45 content which was balanced for the tanks to have ability X work in a certain way as it did in the patch, when the content was still current. Or maybe healers or the DPS require to have ability Y, in order to make the encounter possible. Playing the old content with the current ability balance that are meant for the content that is current at the moment, might cause certain content to be impossible or laughably easy due to the present balance.

We have seen quite of a big community in World of Warcraft, as a example, asking for Blizzard to implement legacy servers so they could play the older content at the right level, with the right skills and abilitys balanced for that particular patch.

Blizzard has in the past ansvered the players that legacy servers are not going to happen, as they want their game "to go forward".

As Blizzard has denied people the chance to play on Legacy servers, many private servers have risen up to fill that vacuum. WoW's private servers may individually have only 200 to 10.000 players per server, but as a whole the community is big enough to fill one or two servers to sufficient numbers.
    Now I understand that WoW is big, no, huge game and it has a huge fan base, and incredible amount of players have played WoW in the past. This means that the pool of players who might want to play legacy servers, is vastly larger than a new IP such as Wildstar will have.

Many players who have unsubscribed WoW, continue to play on legacy servers, especially PvP players who play on servers such as the Arena Tournament Realm. Do you think it is wise for a company to skip this amount of potential customers? Would the legacy servers be economically feasible and worth all the trouble?

I understand that Legacy servers have problem with patching. How do people react when the next patch hits? Patch they know, with the current knowledge, will ruin the balance in certain aspects of the game? How do you select which patch to apply? Will you require to spend precious developer time on a obsolete content?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Personally indifferent but from a big picture perspective, I don't believe it to be a wise use of resources. We don't know what the demand would be for legacy servers nor do we know what "legacy" are they looking for. Classic? Expansion X? Expansion Z Patch 7? It would likely unnecessarily divide the playerbase and create server population issues. If it doesn't do that, it'll create mostly empty servers that will mostly ruin the fun of having a legacy server to begin with, not to mention the costs of keeping those servers up would probably surpass any gains from it.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

You will not get a decent discussion on this topic. Those fans who do like such play are much more likely to be a part of the forum community than the larger player base. Virtually every time this has been done in the past its been a failure. You can't go home again.
    Narrack likes this.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

If you like throwback content, get enough of it while it is current to last you the rest of the game. :)
  5. Infamouz

And if you jump on the vagon when it´s moving? What if you missed lets say Vanilla WoW, but would love to "beat" it?
  6. Xlugon Pyro

If I understand you right, I'd say you're SoL.
  7. Thesoundsofsophistry

Thesoundsofsophistry New Cupcake

I dislike having to go to private servers or twinking for some throwback, I hope they have a lot more server choices than other MMOs.
    I like what PoE does with it's leagues, I'd love if they stole that idea.
  8. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Waste of money and resources. The rose colored glasses of nostalgia fall off way to fast to make it worth it.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

You might be right about this...
  10. Infamouz

Well that is your opinion of the matter. I have played on the Arena Tournament Realm and I have to say WotLK PvP still gives the most fun PvP experience in WoW.

Edit:

And it really ain't the prime time atm.
    Thesoundsofsophistry likes this.
  11. Livnthedream

You can't judge it by number of players because of opportunity cost.

We can start the tit for tat back and forth as we dig up all of the games that have tried this, it have never really been regarded as a success over a period of time. Look at how quickly the Runescape server died down for example. As I said, this thread is pointless.
    GoatSlayrr likes this.
  12. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

Firstly, not many games have tried it. They've made their case and flatout said "no" which I understand because of the huge cost associated with trying to backport your own game. That being said, there is some precedent for it succeeding, there's a UOT2A replica server with ~ 400 active players for the past 3-4 years. A lot have come and gone, but I would say that's pretty successful for a non-company promoted, niche area of the gaming universe.

I believe, with proper management you could plan ahead and make legacy servers not an opportunity cost but a partial if not brief revenue increase. With proper code management, hardware configuration, and planning you could make it a very simple process. That all takes additional time, but with automated routines and chef builds etc. I don't think the time invested would outweigh the potential game if your game hits big and people become nostalgic about it.

Which is the rub, isn't it? Who's to say people become nostalgic about WildStar. Maybe the game continually improves and there aren't any game/meta shifting changes that turn one part of the game on its head. Maybe the play experience is uniform from start to finish. It's technologically feasible to make it a simple process, but is that something you plan for?

I agree though, current games would not do well to revert back to "ye olden days". I also feel this conversation is pointless, since dev group has made the choice to plan for legacy. Not to mention the arguments for the legacy servers are overly impassioned.

afk sterbing.
    [edit]
    One of the key elements of maintaining these servers which would make it a chore even with proper code management is bug vs. feature resolution. Obviously, game destroying bugs that existed get fixed. However, if spell A worked a certain way but was intended to work in a different fashion and just wasn't fixed: do you leave it? The same goes for where you start in the timeline and such. Obviously a code-freeze at a certain location would be the optimal way to do that but how do you determine the maximum amount of nostalgic satiation for most players?
    Livnthedream likes this.
  13. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I do not care for legacy servers. What gameplay was in the past should stay there.

Are there 'popular' legacy servers for other MMO games then WoW? (Asking out of curiosity)
    I would assume you would need a big player base to begin with (+1 million) on your current content.
  14. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would be all for a legacy/progression type server as it would mean that Wildsatr has very very successful over a long period of time. To have such a server there has to be a sense of nostalgia accompanied by many years of success. I am all for the latter. I hope WS enjoys the type of success where people will want to go back and experience content as it was originally intended. But realistically this is an idea that is 5+ years before it is ripe for discussion.
  15. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

I played on a private 1.12 WoW server with x1 exp and 1xloot with blizzlike content for a bout a year.

It really was the final satsfaction rading MC and BWL again, the greatness of an mmo comes with the discovery and conquest of the spirit of adventure.

I have no problem with legacy servers, but I assure you Wildstar will be magical only for the brief time the content is truly fresh, and you're on the edge of it with your friends.

Adventuring like you havn't in years. God I cannot wait.
  16. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Why are you talking about Legacy servers before the game is even released?

Also, Nostalgia is overrated.
  17. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

nobody gives a <REDACTED> that you want to play WoW patch 1.3456.2342 and 1/2

dont waste company effort that could be used actually making something for the game
  18. Infamouz

Funnily enough I asked for peoples opinion on the matter, I didn't really speak out my own opinion of the matter. I only mentioned that I have played WoW WotLK patch 3.3.5 on private servers, to point out that I am not having rose tinted classes about the whole matter, and that playing previous patches can actually be alot of fun.
    As to why am I talking about it?

Well I talk about it as it has been somewhat big topic on the previous MMO games, and it wouldn't hurt anyone to hear how people feel about legacy servers.

The same question can be asked about 90% of the topic on the forums. Most of us haven't played Wildstar, and from those few who have most are under NDA so all we have is speculation, opinions and assumptions. 90% of the threads and messages on the forum might be unnecessary and useless. I am sorry you feel so about this particular topic, no one is forcing you to continue reading or participating in it tho.
  19. Infamouz

Now, who peed in to your morning cereals? It wasn't me I can assure you of that.
  20. Livnthedream

I am guessing Mel.

Really though, what is the point of the thread? You get some peoples opinions, even if it is overwhelmingly positive its unlikely to change. The fact that it has been tried in the past shows that there is support for it, the fact that they tend to fail shows there is no real staying power (typically).