1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your take on: Legacy servers? +Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Infamouz, Oct 26, 2013.

?

How do you feel about Legacy servers, should Carbine implement them in the future?

1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

59.1%
  3. I am indifferent about the matter

27.3%
  1. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

He probably wanted to sounds intelligent instead.
  2. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

heh.
    Vyver and Livnthedream like this.
  3. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

As for where I got the 400, I explained that already in my second post.
  4. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Oh I did use two hundred, didn't even remember I had. Well regardless I think the 10.000 was there from the start as my intention was originally to show that the amount of people on servers varies greatly from server to server. If it was not there, I have added it not to "mask" anything or to win a debate, but to show the average users per server.
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not directly on topic, but this does give you some food for thought.

6. MacHaggis

MacHaggis Cupcake

To be honest: If you bored enough AND still hell-bent on playing the game: Do an ironman challenge instead.
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

This kind of challenge?

[​IMG]
  8. Narwrynn

Narwrynn New Cupcake

Probably already been stated but I'd like legacy servers I play private servers that run older versions of games sometimes but not always.
    Maybe let players run these servers with some light monitoring and basic rules about how you treat the players on your server as well as requiring the legacy servers to charge their own "monthly sub fee" that also requires you have game time on the actual Wildstar.
    A quick example of how this might work:

NCsoft offers emulated versions of their game set apart by expansion, patch and bug fix.
    A player wishes to host a server that emulates Wildstar as it was on launch day that can support up to 200 players at a time
    They have to front make a refundable deposit to NCsoft for the approximate amount a server of that size takes to run for 2 months (the first and last)
    The server will show up on a "Private Server" tab on the server selection screen.
    The server will list, the name of the server, the patch the server is (in this example 1.0.0) and the amount the server cost to sub to for a month as well as the number of players online and the connection ping you have to that server.
    The player must first logs on to the official WildStar world server which requires active game time just like if they where going to play on the official servers. You then choose the private server you'd like to play on. They may offer a free week or so to get you hooked to their server but after that you update your subscription to them maybe they charge $2 dollars a month to use their server(NCsoft takes a cut). This goes on top of your Wildstar subscription. You then play just like normal.
    But wait: The server is going to shut down! The host can host their server for the next 30 days and wait for all their players time to elapse and get their deposit back.
    OR
    The server falls apart and wildstar uses the deposit to run the server for the next 30 days and make sure players already subbed get the full value of their purchased game time.

A legal nightmare. probably, but a good way for users to add value to their own subscription based on whatever amount they are willing to pay.
    If Classic servers end up being a special service only a select number of plays want but are willing to maybe pay as much or more than the normal sub to Wildstar then so be it. If they can't sustain themselves then they die.
    They add value to Wildstar and players who would normal go to unregulated private servers to play an legacy server now get afforded a little more protection and Wildstar makes a little more money in the process.

Definitely would need some refinement and limited testing but it could work.

This also separates players who are just feeling a little nostalgia and those who are willing to put their money where their mouth is.